Using a pre-built VMWare image of WFilter NG Firewall
We do provide a pre-built VMWare image of WFilter NG Firewall. In case you want to preview WFilter NG Firewall without installation, you can download this vmware image of WFilter NG Firewall.
- This vm has 1GB RAM and 2GB disk. Only for small networks(less than 50 clients) or features preview.
- Two bridged adapters, one has no IP assigned(WAN), another is assigned with IP 192.168.10.1(LAN interface, DHCP enabled).
- Since these two bridged adapters are based on same physical adapter. You can only get half thoughput of the physical adapter.
- You also can build the virtual machine by yourself, please check: Install WFilter NG Firewall in a Virtual Machine
2 Import Steps
- Download the zip file, unzip it into a directory.
- In VMWare workstation, click "Open a Virtual Machine" to open "WFilter NG Firewall.vmx".
- Review the virtual machine settings.
- Boot this virtual machine, choose "I copied it".
- Successfully booted.
- Set a LAN pc to static IP address "192.168.10.2", mask "255.255.255.0", gateway "192.168.10.1".
- Type http://192.168.10.1 in your browser to open web UI.
- Set a valid static IP for WAN interface and a correct gateway.
DO NOT choose "Bridge" here because this vm can not act as a network bridge.
- This vm has two bridged adapters, one has no IP assigned(WAN), another is assigned with IP 192.168.10.1(LAN interface, DHCP enabled).
- To manage other LAN clients, you need to modify client device gateway to WFilter NGF("192.168.10.1"). There are two solutions:
- Static IP: modify clients IP to 192.168.10.x, with gateway 192.168.10.1.
- Dynamic IP: since WFilter already has DHCP enabled, you only need to shutdown your existing DHCP. So new connected clients will take WFilter NGF as gateway.
The 2GB disk can only record usage and reports for 2-3 days(100 clients). You can extend the vm for more clients, please check: Hardware Requirements Please follow below steps to add a harddisk:
- Add a 100GB harddisk.
- Add partition for this new disk.
- Set this partition for data storage.
- Apply the settings then you can record usage and report for more days.